Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Part 1: Review of "Rainy Days and Mondays" by The Carpenters

Well... not really...

Ever since I can remember I've enjoyed rainy days. I have no certain reason why, I guess there are just a lot of things about them that appeal to me. I used to love driving out to the lake on rainy days. My senses overloading. Rain soaked sand, drenched trees, fresh breeze off the lake. Or camping out with my grandparents and sitting around a sizzling campfire, the smoke billowing into the air and the wood evaporating the raindrops as they hit. Quiet days walking around University campus with the large trees overhanging onto pathways, usually swelling with students now quiet with only the sounds of dripping leaves spilling their water onto the path. Torrential downpours and sitting at my front window watching a river of water flow down my street into the storm gutter. I sometimes feel like Forrest Gump and his letter to Jenny when he talks about the rain in Vietnam: little bitty stinging rain... big ole fat rain... rain that flew in the sides and sometimes... rain that seemed to come straight up from underneath". I'd have to say that my favourite is "big ole fat rain". On rainy days, when I leave the office tower where I work, I have a lovely 4 block walk to my express bus and on rainy days the streets are dead quiet. People(tm) are inside hiding or if they're walking they're crouched under umbrellas or hugging buildings in order to keep under the eaves. I walk deliberately in the open, under sopping trees, sans umbrella, stepping/splashing in puddles, head up to catch the rain on my face. I wait at my bus stop getting completely soaked while others congregate under the overhang of the office tower that is right there. I think I find comfort in it. Comfort in rainy days. There's something "cozy" about rainy and overcast days. Something that just makes you want to sit at home and cuddle to keep warm, even if you're not cold. Drink hot chocolate, coffee or tea. Spoil yourself with some comfort food and listen to the rain on the roof or outside the window. Stay in your jammers all day and listen to soul quenching music. Wiggle your toes and stretch your limbs. Not feel guilty about yawning or daydreaming. Rainy days never get me down...

(now MONDAYS on the other hand... Part 2: Coming Soon-ish)