Thursday, July 14, 2005

Trolls

When I was a kid I wanted to be a Photo-Journalist. Not *really* knowing what this meant in its entirety it combined two things that I was really interested in. Photos and Writing. Somewhere this dream of mine was put in the far recesses of my mind as I concentrated on more practical careers like teaching or environmental ecologist. I never became a teacher. I never ecologized environmentally either. Instead, I analyze volumetrics, numbers, expenses and captial expeditures as an accountant in an oil and gas company. You would think, with all this creative energy that I have that my career would have been in the arts not with numbers. I guess part of me wonders why I chose this direction. It's not like I was never in charge of my own career. Accounting is something that I can just... do. I am fortunate to be able to do something that, monetarily is quite satisifying and, at times, can be very creative. The analyzing part is where it can be creative, the paycheque is where is can be satisfying. ;)

A lot of people's perceptions of accountants (errr, sometimes referred to as "bean counters") is that we're boring, predictable, unfunny (I can make words up if I want to, its MY blog), static, hmmm TROLLS (yah, thanks Dilbert ©). The truth is. Yes. Most are. Heh. But I am the exception (to almost every rule, btw)!! I am NOT boring. SOOOO not predictable. I can not be unfunny. I use dryer sheets so I'm not static. And although I can act like one, I am not a troll.

I guess what I am saying is that I think I balance my life pretty well. My writing, drawing, photography and other creative interests balance off my otherwise "boring" profession. The truth of the matter is, I think most people aren't overly satisified in their current career, but its a CHOICE. I guess I'm writing this because I read something quite interesting the other day that is sticking in my mind. "If you love what you do for a living, you will never work a day in your life". I work, but never outside of my office.