Friday, January 19, 2007

Mystic crystal revalation... And the mind's true liberation...

Getting older.
It is something that everyone suffers from and everyone seems to fight tooth and nail against. When I was younger, to me, 30 seemed so very very old. When I was 20, I was excited to be able to see how close 30 was and how I knew that hitting that age wouldn't be all that big of a deal for me. Some people have a difficult time wrapping their heads around hitting milestone birthdays... "I can't believe I'm xxx years old, OMG!! I'm SO OLD!"...
For me, getting a year older isn't a bad thing. I've always seen it as another year where I've just gained so much more life experience and those experiences have not taken away from any youthful outlook that I may have.
I will, I think, forever be young in spirit.
I guess part of the reason why I might not have issues with age is not so much that age just doesn't really *mean* anything, b/c of course it does in most cases... But I think that as far as my life goes I am, for the most part, where I want to be, and if not, it is where I need to be at this very moment. If my life was full of regrets, I think I would definitely have a much different perspective than I do right now.
People are funny when it comes to age.
I have this friend who thinks that odd years (such as 29, 31, 33...) are bad years... She just celebrated her 33rd birthday in August... I think she is having a pretty good year so far. I'm crossing my fingers that her theory will be blown out of the water! But can you imagine dreading every second year?
I have another friend who is barely a month older than I am and has always dreaded every birthday up until the one that just passed... she turned 34... I think maybe it is b/c her life is starting to head in the direction she wants it and there is no need for dread any more. Her steps are deliberate and thought-out and she is becoming more focused on a future for herself, particularly one that she wants.
So many people are entering that phenomenon called the 30-something crisis. I know what it is like to challenge yourself where you're currently at and wonder where it is you're going. To realize that maybe the things you've accomplished aren't the things you wanted. That perhaps this whole "grown-up" thing isn't all it was cracked up to be. You long for the days when all you had to do was go out to the pub after class with mates and talk about Dostoevsky or Camus or Nietzsche and pretend these things really did matter in every day life. No, that isn't coming from cynicism. It is TRUE! Dostoevsky DOES matter in every day life. If you make it matter. I guess I just try to make it matter.
So as I approach the beginning of my 35th year (I will be 34 on the 24th) I am led to ask myself a few questions on the status of my life... Questions that I will not share and, to be perfectly honest, some are pretty tough to answer. Not all, just some. Not most, just some. I've done a pretty good job at this Lifeā„¢ this so far, I'm not a total emo!! Anyway, 2007 seems off to a great start... I am going to attempt to keep this momentum going.
So, I'll be off celebrating for the next while...! Wheeee! And a Happy Birthday to all my fellow water babies!!
This is the dawning of the Aging Aquarius...