Thursday, February 09, 2006

And the Grammy ™ goes to…

U2...

  • SONG OF THE YEAR: Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own, U2.
  • ROCK ALBUM: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, U2.
  • ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCAL: Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own, U2.
  • ROCK SONG: City of Blinding Lights, U2.
  • ALBUM OF THE YEAR: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, U2.


Hmmm. Sweep. It's lovely. I will admit to being a U2 fan since I was 14. Yes yes, I am part of the hordes of people that latched on to U2 after the release of the Joshua Tree in 1987. Since then I have been in love with the Irish band through good times and bad. Sadly, I have seen them in concert only 4 times but loved every performance. Last night's Grammy Awards gave me two thoughts, actually. That U2 is still the best rock band in the world and that U2 has a tough act to follow; their own. Now, some believe that U2 reached their musical senility in the form of Achtung Baby. I think, however, these people were/are sad that U2 perhaps took a different path for a few years short of a decade. There's nothing wrong with being different and experimenting and I think that path is what has brought U2 back to the foundation/core/root of their passion. True rock music. This is expressed in their last two albums. Now, I am no music critic. I just know what I like. And I like U2. It will be interesting to see what the band has in store for us in the future. Could they possibly make an album that could surpass the success of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb? Now? After all this time? Ha. When U2 was inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, I remember Bono saying something to the effect of, "Not now. We're not done yet." I agree. And even though I might think that they could have released their last great album, I have nothing but hope and faith that they can still write and perform incredible music. They're not dead yet! I hope I will retract the first part of the previous sentence. Words I will happily eat!