Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Reason Being...

I’ve had three friends who have had relatives die within the last month: Ann’s daddy, Elise’s step-father and Diane’s uncle. People often wonder what is the reason behind it all, right? We’re all told “things happen for a reason”. Has anyone figured out what that reason is? Is this just meant to placate us? Is that reason any more different for each of us or are we seeking the same reason? And what the hell was the question in the first place? “Why do people we love die?” Aside from the obvious biological reasons, is there any sense of REASON to death? I don’t think so. I think it just plain ole sucks!

Elise has been going through a mid-life crisis @ the age of 31. I have to say that I’ve gone through something similar beginning around the age of 29. It’s that whole thought that comes into your head, that sudden awakening… “WTF! How did I get *here *?!?!? (and where is my free toaster?) I think her mid-life has been brought on by the death of her step-father and now, the death of her wife’s uncle. Both deaths due to cancer. I have to say that I got through my whole crisis by rediscovering through myself what my passions might be and realizing them. As I’ve posted in previous blogs, I’m not defined by my career in life. I don’t go around saying… “Hello, my name is… I am an accountant.” and expect people to understand who I am by that statement. I’ve suggested to Elise that perhaps she needs to just look around and see what things that she enjoys and how to make them passions in her life to live alongside her career choice and support each other. To be quite honest, I am not your typical accountant. I go to work with leather armbands with studs and spikes in them, I listen to metal in my office, I say “dude” entirely too often, I am just ME in my environment. That’s all people should EXPECT of you. I take pictures, I draw, I watch horribly wonderful movies and listen to tons of music. I bounce around the halls at work, I swear too much, and I am also quite intelligent! I read history books, the dictionary at times, I read humourous fantasy novels and laugh out loud on the bus. I travel a bit and plan to a lot more! I just decided to ENJOY the journey that is my life and no worry about the reason why things happen. Love who you’re with, your family, your partners, you friends. Things might happen for a reason, the thing to focus on is that things … HAPPEN… Life™ happens. It just does. Just be who you are and enjoy it.