Monday, August 29, 2005

Veronique

I was trying to think of something positive to blog about. I think sometimes I do get into ranting phases. Honestly, I am quite a good-spirited person. Maybe because I have been taught to say what is on my mind and leaves little room to second guess what I'm thinking. The question people usually walk away asking is not "what was she REALLY saying?", its more "was she, uhmm, joking?" Heh. Not sure there is much of a difference, but everything is open to interpretation... roight...

So, what do I think of that always makes me smile? My grandma.

She was an amazing woman. She was full of SO MUCH LOVE for everyone. Anyone that ever met her saw in her that incredible love she had for people. If I carry any shred of what she was, I will say that I accomplished something. She had this tremendous capacity to make people feel welcome and certainly loved. She touched everyone with her heart that must have been pained from being so full.

I am not saying she was perfect. She certainly could have a temper that my grandpa could certainly attest. But what happened in a flash of anger was gone minutes later with a smile. She never stayed angry, never harboured grudges, never said anything bad about anyone. She was a spirited woman that just had a passion for people.

Her and my grandpa were married in 1936. The met in a Catholic mission and were introduced to each other by one of the nuns. My grandpa worked in logging camps and my grandma cooked for the men. They raised a family of 3 adopted children. My grandma was an amazing cook! She could make something from just taste alone. And so together, my grandparents opened a restaurant that they operated for over 25 years. It was the best food anyone could get and was boasted about from town to town. Not only for the food, but for the welcoming atmosphere. Walking into the restaurant was like walking into your own grandmother's house. The smell of home-cooked meals... The welcoming smiles... The warm and friendly service... My grandmother's touch was in everything, including her staff. They knew that no matter what happened, my grandparents would always try to understand and be sympathetic and very helpful. They employed this deaf/mute man from the time I was a kid until they closed the restuarant. He was also a notorious drunk who managed to get himself into the local drunk-tank for a sleep-over on more than a few occasions (yearly!). My grandfather would pick him up from the police station, bring him food and make sure he got home alright. Always giving him a second (third, fourth, fifth) chance. He was a very poor man and they understood that he needed the money. A diligent worker who had a taste for the sauce every now and again. Anyway, they were just understanding people. My grandmother learned to communicate with him using some basic sign language he had and that's all they needed between them.

I remember so much about my grandmother. I remember the way she smelled. The scent of her slight perfume, pressed powder make-up and Rolaids ©. I remember how she sounded when she sang me this song she made up for her grandchildren. The way she cussed in her native language. How she was always trying to make everyone happy. I remember the shape of her feet. Playing dress up with her church clothes. Her letting me driver her car when I was 9 years old "just around the block".

I remember the way she looked the last time I saw her. The way she smiled at me and said "I love you, my girl, grandma's little girl" and how much I didn't want to let go of her hand.

It's been 10 years. And although the pain has been passed for some time now, I miss her. I'll always miss her.

The best thing I can say is that her memory makes me smile. And I tell this to all my friends, but she looked like Queen Elisabeth II. So every time I see a $20 CDN bill, I basically see my grandma. :) Aren't I lucky?

I don't know about this "afterlife" business... All I know is that in this life, I couldn't have been more blessed than I have been by just knowing her. Anyone that ever met her couldn't ever argue this statement: Veronique was absolutely beautiful.