Friday, October 21, 2005

Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well... do ya?

I'm not a superstitious person in the sense that if a black cat happens to cross my path, I don’t turn around 3 times and spit into the wind or anything of the like. I don't believe that walking under a ladder is bad luck, just very dangerous. I don’t think that if you spill the salt that you should toss it over your left shoulder to hit the devil in the eye; I honestly don’t think that sodium chloride would have much effect on the Prince of Darkness. If you receive a chain letter and don’t send it out to 648 people in twelve point three four nine seconds you will not be eaten by some odd band of Tasmanian beetles or get sucked off into the cosmos by some space octopus; but you are probably in the 90th percentile of intelligence amongst human beings. I mean, what are these people REALLY thinking? Wishing death or dismemberment upon their friends by sending them ridiculous electronic hexes and curses. Nice.

What kind of superstitious am I? I'm one of those people that simply thinks that things have the power that we give them. If you think that your pet bunny's foot will bring you luck, you should just chop it off and carry the bluddy mass around with you! Joking, of course. I think people place value, perhaps a better word would be sentiment, on things they might feel a spiritual connection. Things like stones from Stonehenge; eagle feathers from a ceremony; sage grass; St. Christophers; toenail clippings, etc. Let's face it, People™ are Strange™. I tend to think that despite my ability to win things, like prizes or bubonic plague, I am quite fortunate -lucky- in other areas in my life. I am more superstitious in the idea that I make my own "luck" and befall my own "fate" by the things that I do, not by the items I carry. This isn't to say that some items are just more comfortable to people. But I believe that I am my own talisman talisgirl.