Friday, June 08, 2007

What's Its Face...

So I don't get what the whole deal is with Facebook.
I hear that so many people are on Facebook and I have to say I'm just perplexed as to why... I even know some people that are on Facebook! I am not on it, myself... and here's why...
My humble opinion: [Please remember, this comes from Vera "Queen of the Cynics"... and do take precautionary measures when handling these grains of salt...]
1.) It's a perfect tool to be used by real-life and internet-stalkers.
I don't know about any of you, but I have met some odd people in real life and on the internet and why would I want to subject myself to a giant database for them to be able to retrieve information about me?
2.) Seems to be a never-ending high school reunion.
I ditched the regular 10-year high school reunion of people-I-never-wanted-to-see-again-anyway and reunited with my high school friends in a sort-of-private-ish-invite-only weekend on the 10th anniversary of my escape from Hell. People that have to contact you via Facebook are not in your 3-D life for a reason, right? The only reason why they are contacting you is primarily to brag about their 2 point five kids in private school, their massive mortgage debt and to sell you their pure-bred puppy dogs... which leads me to the next point...
3.) It is a "Look At Me And What I Have Done With My Life" forum.
Chances are the people that you never talk to on a regular basis in your 3-D life are only contacting you to talk about themselves anyway. Here's a tip: If you're not part of my email contacts or on any of my IM lists chances are I really don't care if you've won the lottery, finally got your sex-change operation and decided to come out of the closet. A) I knew you had a gambling problem aaaaaaaages ago, if I cared enough, I'd be glad it finally paid off; B) I can't clearly remember if you were male or female anyway, but if I cared I'd be happy for you and your self-expression; C) I'm not surprised.