Tuesday, March 06, 2007

the strangest place i've ever slept...

ann suggested the topic...

the strangest place i've ever slept was not so much strange for the fact of sleeping there but for the reason WHY i slept there...

for the most part, my nights have been in either my bed or beds of people i know or on my couch or floor or the couches and floors of people i know... in beds of hotels or bed and breakfasts... now, i've passed out under trees at outdoor parties/cabin parties or beach parties... i've blacked out and woke up next to a treestump or flattened on a flight of stairs... but never an entire night...

so the story of the strangest place i've slept also begins with the eye-rolling phrase "omg, one night i was SOOOOO wasted..." so...

omg, one night i was SOOOOO wasted... my friends and i had been up most of the night drinking... i had downed my usual weekend staple of a entire 26oz bottle of vodka mixed into three VERY strong drinks in a 7-11 slurpee-cup... my poison of choice when i was 18 was vodka and gingerale... i had poured 1/3 of the 26oz bottle into the plastic container and filled the rest with gingerale. i was a "compact drunk". i required only a few ingredients for the soul purpose of getting me blitzkrieged beyond recognition... by time the night ended i had not only consumed the entire bottle by myself in the three aforementioned concentrations, but i managed to ingest a couple slurpee-cups of lukewarm beer from the kegger we had bought for the weekend.

my friend's parent's cabin was rather small, but almost every weekend of every summer we managed to cram ourselves -and few other stray acquaintances- into the place even if it meant passing out on top of each other in the process. per usual, i had secured my lodging for the night in one of the upstairs bedrooms and as i laid my dizzying head onto the pillow the familiar feeling of nausea overcame me and i bolted up straight away. the floors were a beautiful hardwood, which did not quite work with my wool socks and i found myself gliding ungracefully across the floor. i flumped down the stairs trying to maintain my balance with one hand covering my mouth and the other fumbling in the dark, attempting to lead the way. i found myself heaving over the side of the wooden deck. after emptying what i thought was left inside my stomach, i groggily drank a glass of water and headed back up the stairs. laying my head back onto the pillow, i once again was struck with the same persistent, exhausting and heaving waves of sickness. bluddy hell! my blasted socks proved to be a challenge for me to make it to the door in 1) one piece and 2) dry... i decided it was far too tiring to attempt to safely navigate the stairs any more that night and made my way to my car (yes, saundra, my faithful girl) and snuggled in the front seat with my cozy patchwork blankie and a bottle of water; every 15 minutes opening the door to lean out and dispose of the alcohol that had been slowly poisoning my body the entire night...

the above story is why i support teetotallers everywhere!

now, i sleep on the express bus EVERY DAY to and from work... is that considered strange?? b/c if so, then just ignore the above post...