Thursday, March 23, 2006

Incoherent Thoughts of a Would-Be Nihilist...

Disclaimer:
I was not put on this earth to make it a better place.

Although I question the purpose for why I have come to be, I accept the fact that I just simply… am. I am prepared to take on the responsibility that I have to my fellow man/woman that I have certain societal obligations to consider. Politeness. Civility. Grace. Respect. But how far do we need to extend our politeness, civility, grace and respect. At times, more often than I'd like to actually admit, I am faced with the conclusion that these obligations are mere illusions. That the base of man, at the core of his being, there is but a beast. Civility is a mask. Politeness is a chore. I draw this conclusion from the evidence that I am presented; from the actions I see in others, and how my reaction has become cold, hardened and cynical. Believe me when I say, I am a realist. But there is something that lives inside of me that might harbour a small vessel of hope that man is not merely the monster we have supressed through the advances we have made as a civilized society. Ironically, the conclusion that I draw from all of this is that the more advanced we become the more we slide ourselves into entropy and therefore more beast-like we become. Grace is tossed out the window as we claw our way through life. Respect has become a "two-way street".

The golden rule has change: Do unto others before they do unto you.

Is this the mark of a great civilization? We've managed to link all four corners of the world, yet we have managed to disconnect ourselves from the principles we've established so falsely. This facade we live, this bubble in which all decency is supposed to exist has started to shrink. As we unravel the mysteries of Life, The Universe, Everything are we also unraveling our societal obligations? Why is it that "common decency" is not so common anymore? Laziness? Expectation? The value of a dollar is the exact cost of your civility? Are you scared someone will get *there* first -wherever *there* is? Competition for resources? Over-population? The sum of all fears?

I have no answers. I offer no solutions. I am part of the problem. I am part of the solution. But I watch. This is the time where the slippery slope of The Golden Age has a miraculous view of The Depths of Disharmony. And there is no stopping it. So I hear the advice of the hopeful: "Do good". "Do something great in this world." "Believe". I am immobilized by my own cyncism. Do I care enough to want to make a difference? Probably not? And why? Am I *that* much of an existentialist? Have I become a nihilist? I refer you to the sub-title to this blog entry...

Meh. I think I just drank too much coffee today.

To be continued... Maybe...